Commercial / Non Domestic EPCs in Peterborough
The City of Peterborough is a medium sized town off the A1 London to Scotland road (it runs along the route of the old Great North Road) with good links to Cambridge, Leicester, Nottingham, Spalding and Norwich, connecting with it via the A47.
Peterborough is a Fenland town of some 200,000 inhabitants.
Just 50 minutes by rail from Kings Cross it is a dormitory town for London.
Peterborough, Fletton used to be the centre of brick manufacture in the UK and still manufactures bricks now.
Peterborough has seen huge growth this century with inward migration from around the world but mainly from Eastern Europe.
What are MEES? Have you even heard of them?
Whenever a building is constructed, sold or rented it will need an EPC. Now, every building rented out since April 1st, 2018 is also required to comply with MEES, the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards which means that all buildings will have to be rated an E or above before they can be rented out. This relates to both domestic and non-domestic buildings.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE MINIMUM STANDARD COULD RISE TO A GRADE D OR EVEN A GRADE C IN FUTURE.
After 1 April 2023, landlords must not continue to let any buildings which have an EPC rating of less than E. Currently there are some exceptions.
Buildings/tenancies which are not required to have an EPC:
- Agricultural buildings with a low energy demand
- Places of worship
- Buildings with planning permission to be demolished
- Buildings where the EPC is over 10 years old on 1st April 2018.
- Stand alone buildings with a useful floor area of less than 50 m2.
- Certain Listed Buildings.
- Tenancies of less than 6 months (with no right of renewal)
- Tenancies of over 99 years.
- Owner occupied buildings.
There is also a ‘Golden Rule’ which allows the building to be entered on the PRS Exemptions register.
- The ‘Golden Rule’: where an independent assessor determines that all relevant energy efficiency improvements have been made to the property or that improvements that could be made but have not been made would not pay for themselves through energy savings within seven years. However, those measures which would pay for themselves within 7 years have to be carried out.
- Devaluation: this is where an independent surveyor determines that the relevant energy efficiency improvements that could be made to the property are likely to reduce the market value of the property by more than 5%. This is considered a very unlikely scenario.
- Third Party Consent: where consent from persons such as a tenant, a superior landlord or planning authorities has been refused or has been given with conditions with which the landlord cannot reasonably comply.
Exemptions must be registered on the central government PRS Exemptions Register. The register opens on 1 April 2018.
The exemptions are valid for five years only and cannot be transferred to a new landlord.
Landlords carry out due diligence checks now to prepare themselves by:
- Getting EPCs for their properties which will acquaint them with the state of their properties and whether they are likely to comply with the new MEES Regulations. These EPCs can be left in draft form for now. In other words lodgement can be delayed.
- Preparing the terms of a tenancy, break dates, refit dates etc., to give themselves the greatest financial advantage.
A property owner in Peterborough needs an EPC service that is close by. If some clarifications are necessary or more work has to be done, you know you can reach an assessor without too much trouble. Our location in the Peterborough area makes it easy for our customers to get the services they need. Whether you are selling or renting, you can contact us for non domestic EPC Peterborough, and you won’t have to wait hours for an assessor to show up.
What We Do
A & C Energy Surveys Ltd assessors will do the site evaluation and gather data. Then they use that information to generate a report, lodge the certificate into the government database and deliver it to you. Ensure that your business premises meet regulations and hire us for commercial EPC Peterborough. We handle all the tough work so that you can focus on growing your investment.
We are accredited with the following organisations: