How Long is an Energy Performance Certificate Valid For?
If you’re a homeowner, then you know that it’s important to get an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). But did you know that the EPC is only valid for 10 years? In this blog post, we’ll talk about how long an EPC is valid for and what you need to do to renew it.
How Often Does EPC Need To Be Updated?
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) need to be updated every 10 years. The certificate contains recommendations on how to improve the energy efficiency of your home. After this time, you will need to get another EPC if you want to sell or rent your property.
The ten year period also applies to commercial properties. This includes office buildings, warehouses, and retail stores.
An EPC is a government-mandated certificate that must be obtained at the time of construction, sale or rental of a property. The certificate is mandated by law and may be used by potential buyers or renters to determine the energy efficiency of a certain building.
How to Renew an EPC?
Renewing a properties energy performance certificate is a fairly simple process. The steps you need to take depend on whether your EPC is paper or digital.
If your EPC is a paper certificate, you will need to send it to the assessor who carried out the original assessment. They will then update the certificate and send it back to you.
If your EPC is digital, the assessor will send you a link to the updated certificate. However, if you decide to go ahead, the procedure usually takes this form:
- 1. The property owner or manager contacts an accredited assessor to arrange an inspection.
- 2. The assessor performs a check to make sure the property has not been significantly altered since the last EPC was issued.
- 3. The assessor carries out an energy assessment, taking into account factors such as insulation, heating, and lighting.
- 4. The assessor provides the property owner with a renewed EPC certificate.
- 5. The property owner then makes the certificate available to potential tenants or buyers.
After the EPC on the property has expired, it will not be able to be sold or rented until a new one is obtained.
Get in Touch with a Professional
If you need any assistance with your EPC, the team at A&C Surveys is here to help. Renewing your EPC can seem daunting, but our experts are more than happy to guide you through the process. Get in touch today for more information